Saturday, March 13, 2010

Approximately how much will it cost if i want to paint my car on my own?

I'm trying to see if its worth it or if I should just get it done professionally. I have a 91 grand marquis. It has a few rust spots. The vinyl is worn as well. What all do I need to get the job done? How would I do the vinyl just paint over it or sand it and repaint, and what kind of paint would I use? I'm thinkin latex for that. Looking for all useful info.Approximately how much will it cost if i want to paint my car on my own?
Vinyl has to be stained as paint will just flake off and generally look horrible.





The supplies, air compressor, spray guns, paint, primer, tape, masking plastic sheets, activator, reducers, respirators, and MANY other things that are required to paint a car will cost, at least, a few multiples of what the car is worth (thousands). Moreover, when I have painted cars in my garage, I have learned that it is most certainly a skill that takes practice. In other words, the first painting attempt will look poor. The 2nd time will be better, and the 5-8th time will start looking decent. You will never get a mirror-like orange-peel free paint job in your garage.





My recommendation would be to go to Maaco (or similar) and spend the $1000 or so that they want for a cheap base coat / clear coat paint job. Is the car worth spending $1000 on?Approximately how much will it cost if i want to paint my car on my own?
You mean how much including the times you will screw it up because you do not know what you are doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment