Saturday, March 13, 2010

How to paint with photoshop?

I'm pretty well-rounded with photoshop, but I'd like a good tutorial on how to paint with it. I fell in love with this work here http://zhuzhu.deviantart.com/art/Bird-81鈥?/a> by zhuzhu on deviantART. To make something like that would be so awesome. Have any tips or good tutorials? Thanks for any help. :)How to paint with photoshop?
That artist painted with Painter 6. You can paint with any art program (It's about how to use the tool, not how good the tool is, blahblahblah, haha) but I have to admit that Corel Painter is much, much easier to get a ';painting'; effect than Photoshop.





PS7 to me always seemed more digital graphics inclined, and the effect always seemed to lean towards a digital feel than a painted feel. Painter is better in the sense that it has many brushes designed for getting desired effects (chalk, paint, watercolour, sponge, etc.)





However, on PS you can always play with the brushes. Lay down a base colour, get a soft brush and toggle with the opacity and play around with it. Choose colours to do shades and highlights, and see if you can create the most basic of shapes through shadows/highlights before you move onto actual painting. The key to experiment. Try to avoid dodge and burn, because those give a less realistic feeling of painting than actually applying the colours.





It takes practice, and I admit myself that I cannot abide doing painted pictures in PS (My pressure sensitivity on my tablet isn't as varied and controlled on it as I like it to be in Painter).





For tutorials, I think it's best to search yourself and see what effects you want. Just do a search on dA and hit the Popular section, you'll find really good tutorials right off the bat (dig a bit deeper for the effects you want.)





http://www.photoshoptutorials.ws/





This site is yet another resource, but it is VERY varied on all uses of PS. But if you do a keyword search you'll come up with some tutorials.





Lastly, if you want to play with other programs, try openCanvas. ( www.portalgraphics.net ) It is similar to Painter (although not as wide-ranged) and has a 30 day trial that you can play with, even if it's just for techniques. =)





Good luck!How to paint with photoshop?
Yep, use Corel Painter =)
  • face blush
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment