Tuesday, March 16, 2010

How would I go about estimating a price for a mural that I am being asked to paint?

I studied


























I studied Fresco Painting in Art School and someone asked me to paint a mural for them.I don't know what I should charge Does anyone know how I should go about charging a price for an outdoor mural?














frescoHow would I go about estimating a price for a mural that I am being asked to paint?
I don't know a thing about painting. I was in the air conditioning business. So I will tell you how I estimated a job and perhaps that will help you to estimate your job.





Materials, Parts, Expendable tools. If the item cost you up to $8.00 divide by .30 $8.00 to $25.00 divide by .50 Over $25.00 divide by .60 Don't miss charging for everything you use.





Travel time and expense to job. Flat charge for each trip





Labor. charge by the hour or estimate your time and give a total figure. Don't underestimate. I hope this will help you out. Worked for me for years.How would I go about estimating a price for a mural that I am being asked to paint?
Art doesnt have a price, it depends on the artist and how youyr feeling. Maybe if the mural is very large or very small, you can factor in the paint being used or the hours it takes, somthing the is yours can on be priced on by you.
I studied Fine Art at Layton and Commercial Art at Western Wisconsin Tech. It's very hard to put a price on talent! But, you should not have too much trouble putting a price on time and materials. Estimating each will take a little research on materials and a best guess on time; taking in possible weather factors, etc. and then adding about ten percent as a fudge factor.


Whatever you do, don't sell yourself short! If the ';someone'; you speak of, sees you have talent and you believe you can live up to that and your own expectations, charge a justifiable amount for your time. Best of luck, in a field where '; people are just dying to get recognized.';
ask what their budget is.....if it seems a fair price for what youre being asked to do then youre set...





it doesnt matter how much money you make or lose on your first one...the experience is invaluable....
If you are talented (you know this by how your work compares to others in your genre) you'll be able to garner thousands for a large mural. If you are just starting out this is naturally going to be a less. A 6x6' mural in the NorthEast can run anywhere between 500.00 and 2000.00





A typical way to calc cost is to take all the materials... add to an hourly rate of what you believe your time is worth.


{All materials + ($perhour X Hours)=Price}





FYI: Get 1/3 or 1/2 the money up front... and that latter once the job is complete... t
I just try to figure out how many hours it is going to take to complete it, and multiply by how much I want per hour. Or, you could just give them an hourly price. Most people prefer to know the bottom line, though.
  • how to apply
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment