Sunday, March 7, 2010

Is it possible to paint white kitchen cabinets with a faux-wood finish? if so, how?

I recently moved into my house and i have wood kitchen cabinets that were painted white. I believe they were originally oak. I would really like to paint them with a dark wood faux finish - to look similar to my cherry wood furniture. I just don't know if this is even possible! I have a little experince painting - but i've never done a faux finish before. If anyone has experince with this could they please tell me how this should be done - or if i should even attempt it at all! thanks!Is it possible to paint white kitchen cabinets with a faux-wood finish? if so, how?
Well, here is a link to Olympic Stains, where they have a video of the 'graining tool' used to create the 'faux wood grain' on a surface. http://www.ppg.com/ppgaf/olympic/igraini鈥?/a>





I would ask first tho.... are these cabinets solid wood? If they are, you might be better off stripping the existing paint, and refinishing the wood.





Reworking a kitchen can be a large task.... be sure to take all of the steps into consideration, before you start any remodeling. Things to consider are: Where are you going to do the work? Can you still use the kitchen while working on the cabinets? How much is it going to cost in time and labor? What are the costs of 'repainting' vs 'replacing'... or even simply 'refacing'?





Have Fun








Additional: Lol, well, I see I got a negative review on my answer, but that really puzzles me... I see nothing in my answer which should create that response... lol I guess someone may have been feeling grumpy, lol.





I have been a woodworker for all of my adult life...for many years, I was a production manager in the furniture industry. Very successful, I might add. So, Ive had a lot of experience, not only in the manufacturing process of woodworking, but also several related areas, such as working with various finishing methods (including faux finish, laminates, veneers, and different chemicals to use in the finishing process of actual wood). For my money... I prefer actual wood, where I can get it. Sometimes that isnt always possible, so, we have these other alternatives.


It has been my experience that faux finishing can be very realistic looking -- a lot of that depends on how much time and money you are willing to invest in the process -- you COULD end up spending more money to make a good fake, than it would be to replace it with solid wood...that is why I cautioned that it would be a good idea to compare prices.





The alternatives, as I see it, are to put the effort and expense of the faux finish process, or strip and refinish the existing doors and cabinet faces (provided they are not laminates), or replace the doors and facing, or.. last choice ... put new veneer over the old doors and facing. There are companies that specialize in manufacturing and selling just cabinet doors (and drawer fronts). There are also veneer products out there that will allow you to 'reface' a cabinet yourself, with a choice of many woodgrains, stains, etc.





The Olympic Stains site, I mentioned has a video of the 'graining tool', so often used in faux wood finishing, in actual use, showing you the technique to use, to create a realistic wood grain. I will add another link here... to Rockler Woodworkers Supply -- they have an excellent catalog, and web site. They carry many things that are useful, not only to the 'home' woodworker, but also to the 'commercial', or 'professional' woodworker. Ive done business with this company for many years, and Ive always been satisfied. Take a look at their kitchen remodeling products, and you can find some of the veneers I mentioned earlier to refinish cabinets.


http://www.rockler.com/


http://www.rockler.com/search_results.cf鈥?/a>








Have FunIs it possible to paint white kitchen cabinets with a faux-wood finish? if so, how?
The Wrangler has some really good suggestions. As a do-it-yourselfer and artist I want to add that if you do decide to either faux paint or strip your kitchen cabinets practice your skills on some thrift store furniture first. You will learn loads from it and be able to get a much better idea of how much of a project you will be taking on.


I've seen lots of books on decorating with paint that show a variety of faux paint finishes, try browsing a larger bookstore.





The concern that I would have about trying to paint them to look like your furniture is that they won't. Being next to the real wood (to my mind) will cause them to look less real in comparison. If I were going to paint them for me, I would choose a color/style that would coordinate with rather than imitate the cherry.


Good luck on your project!
Starwoode is right on the money!
i suggest stripping the paint off your cabinets and then stain them cherry. no faux painting i know of would look as good as the natural wood stained to match.

No comments:

Post a Comment